Our 2nd 24 hours have been a mixed bag of nice light air reaching, and, for the past 15 hours, motor sailing in 6 kn. easterly winds and a slight 1 mtr. swell. Beautiful to be out here, but the sub tropical depression south of us is continuing to develop. Our morning report yesterday from meteorologist Bob McDavit caused quite a bit of concern, forecasting possible gale force winds on our passage route in about 3 days, of up to 54 kn. with 6 mtr very rough seas. Sheee-it! We considered either turning back for Fiji, or heaving to here for the next 3 days or so, to wait for the depression to pass. In the evening, after discussion with Bob, he felt that if we keep sailing fast ("Sail your heart out, BRAVO" were his words!!) we should be able to work far enough south before the depression really ramps up and be fine.
So this is what we're doing. Motorsailing now, with light winds, to make as much progress as possible, as quickly as possible.
All well on board, albeit with a bit more stress than we prefer on our passages!!!
current position: 24d 03'S 176d 52'E
course: 189d T@ 7.0kn
366 miles made good
721 miles to go
fishing report: nada
ship sightings: had a fun encounter at sunset with BAIES du MONDE, a 50' French catamaran. We saw her, with huge rig and black carbon sails, gaining on us for a few hours before they passed us about 50 mtrs to starboard! We both took photos, and promised to find each other and exchange pix when we arrive in NZ.
All's well on board, nice sailing under sunny skies!!!
GO BRAVO GO !!!